Thursday, June 2, 2011

Truck sketch

I did up a new Truck design sketch. I think I'm getting closer to capturing the character of Truck. Seriously, this an anthropomorphic garbage truck who's sole purpose is to alternatively smash and gather things in his world, to make a larger and larger garbage pile. I'm really just designing him as a character because I find it entertaining.

I compressed about 45 minutes of sketching down to 3 for the video. Much longer than that and some of the slower bits really get pretty boring to watch.



I have never recorded myself sketching. It's weirdly intimidating. Most of that self conscious feeling I use to have when someone would watch me draw or paint has faded with practice and time. Now, if someone comes to peek over my shoulder while I'm drawing, or modelling, I don't really worry about what they think of my doodles. I'm usually much more concerned that they will just get bored. Recording myself sketching, I'm just worried that the screen capture will break or the computer will crash. It felt like I was drawing to beat the clock. After a few minutes I sort of relaxed into it a bit, but this is definately a new process, and it will take me a while to get comfortable. Modelling with the screen capture running will be... interesting.

2 comments:

  1. Very impressive. Two comments, one - I watch your strokes and each one looks so simple and so obvious - but I know there is no way in hell I could make them. Two, it seems like all other things of worth, you spend half your time (or more) doing the details.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I watch it back at such high speed, a lot of the strokes seem more confident than they probably were at the time. It's really just a building process of making a mark and then adding another to see how they fit together. When the experiment is a failure, I just paint over it with something else until it does work.
    Thanks for the kind words. I'll post up some more stuff as soon as I churn it out.

    ReplyDelete